Monday, August 26, 2013

Adaptability: Live in the Moment and "Make Good Art"

Living in the moment keeps a person alive and loving life, satisfied, confident, and even joyful. This moment today says to give up on my original plans for this morning's entry and share one of the best speeches I've heard in a long while. Thanks to Daniel Goldberg for posting it on his author blog http://www.authordanielgoldberg.com.

The speaker, Neil Gaiman, is one of the most prolific writers I've never read (a situation I need to rectify quickly). If his books, comics, and other artistic pursuits are anything like this, I've been missing a lot. Among all the insights into the creative profession, this phrase stands out: "Make good art!"

Typical graduation speeches strive to inspire graduates to be the best they can be, to trust in their education, and to utilize their innate talents. However, the words often fall flat or on deaf ears. It's impossible to hear this one, however, and not feel inspired, even impelled to maximize your life, your vocation, and your appreciation of existence.

This is the commencement speech I wish I had heard before embarking on my working career. This is the advice I needed then and need now to guide what comes next. The video below is approximately twenty minutes, but it will be time well spent. Enjoy and smile.


Neil Gaiman - Inspirational Commencement Speech at the University of the Arts 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment