Monday, January 27, 2014

In Sympathy for the...Teacher: Poem with an Attitude

I discovered a poem all about attitude this weekend that jumped out and bit me in the face, and I just had to share. Unfortunately, I showed it to our good friend Crabby (the Crabby Curmudgeon) first and he insisted that I let him read it on video. Sigh.

Therefore, let me throw in this disclaimer: I did not write this poem. I do not subscribe to the thoughts expressed. I highly recommend if you find yourself feeling this way on your job, you immediately seek other employment...PLEASE! Especially if you deal with children.

That being said, here is the Crabby Curmudgeon reading D.H. Lawrence's poem "Last Lesson of the Afternoon."  The text of this selection is available at http://books.google.com/books?id=cQYRp8EQrzUC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=last+lesson+of+the+afternoon+lawrence&source=bl&ots=l7HGniMzVH&sig=yADHE7RE4DokfMYc081NhovSgbE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pKTmUvzeI8iIyAGblIGQDA&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=last%20lesson%20of%20the%20afternoon%20lawrence&f=false.



Crabby Curmudgeon comments:

Hey. Crabby Curmudgeon here.

You ever try to teach a composition class to a bunch of 8th grade boys the last hour of the day?

Let me tell you, it's not fun!

And it's never been fun! Just listen to these words from poet and novelist D.H. Lawrence written 1911. You'll understand.

POEM: "Last Lesson of the Afternoon" by D.H. Lawrence

Oh, yeah. That's found in the book The 20th Century in Poetry edited by Michael Hulse and Simon Rae.

So if you've never been a teacher with afternoon classes, now you know what what it's like. If you have, you have my sympathy

I'm the Crabby Curmudgeon. Talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment